Financial aid

Financial Aid is awarded to students who have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Office of Financial Aid will give first priority to students who file their FAFSA by March 1.

Scholarships and grants

We have a limited number of scholarships and grants available at JMU to incoming transfer students. Some scholarship opportunities at JMU available to incoming transfer students include:

What will your cost be? Estimate now.
Dingledine-Bluestone Scholarship

ONLY for VCCS transfer students

  • The award is made annually in the amount equivalent to full in-state tuition and fees for two years at JMU if eligibility requirements are met. For the 2020-2021 academic year, that amount is $12,330.

  • Application and recommendations must be postmarked no later than Feb. 1st.
  • Eligibility:

1. Graduating from a Virginia Community College with a transferable A.A., A.S., or A.A&S. degree by the end of the Spring 2021 semester

2. Submitting a Dingledine-Bluestone Scholarship application - APPLY NOW

3. Applying for admission to JMU to begin in the fall semester

4. Have a minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.5

5. At least 60% of your college credits must be completed from community college

6. At the time of application, at least one college-level transferable course must be completed in English, math, lab science, and social science

  • The following scholarships  cannot be combined:

    • Dingledine-Bluestone Scholarship, Madison Award for Academic Excellence, First Generation Scholarship, Second Century Scholarship, Centennial Scholarship or Fellowship offers. If offered more than one of these merit-based awards, students must choose one and decline the other offer(s).
Virginia Two Year College Transfer Grant

ONLY for VCCS transfer students

  • This grant is available to all eligible transfer students from the Virginia Community College System (VCCS)

  • Student may receive up to $2,000 for science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree or up to $1,000 for all other majors

  • Eligibility:

  1. Students must be transferring to a 4-year institution from a Virginia Community College

  2. Have earned an Associate’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA

  3. Must meet certain financial aid criteria (e.g. Virginia residency, estimated family contribution below $12,000, submitted FAFSA)

  4. Must be enrolled at JMU as a full-time undergraduate student

Centennial Scholars

For students with a high financial need

Financing the cost of higher education is a major barrier that has kept qualified and deserving students from under-served backgrounds from attending college.

To meet this challenge, JMU developed the Centennial Scholars program to lower this barrier for qualified under-served students who would not be able to enroll at a four-year institution.

Madison Award for Academic Excellence

A merit-based scholarship with priority given to students completing their second year of college

The Madison Awards for Academic Excellence are merit-based awards which recognize a broad spectrum of accomplishment and potential. Academic colleges and departments are responsible for selecting individuals who posses scholastic achievement within a particular area of study and demonstrate promise to the university.

View the full list of scholarship opportunities for current students

Back to Top